Here’s one more way to reduce the amount of resources you use without need.
The Dutch group SPRANQ has developed MS Windows and Mac font replacements that have little holes within the normally printed areas of a font to reduce the amount of ink used. The fonts are based on Vera Sans an open source font similar to Verdana. Their tests resulted in about 20% less ink used.
Downloads are available for MS Windows XP, MS Vista and Mac OS X.
To install the font on MS Windows XP, follow these steps:
- 1. Click Start, and then click Run.
- 2. Type the following command, and then click OK:
- 3. On the File menu, click Install New Font.
- 4. In the Drives box, click the drive that contains the font that you want to add.
- 5. In the Folders box, click the folder that contains the font that you want to add, and then click OK.
- 6. In the List of fonts box, click the font that you want to add. To select more than one font at a time, press and hold the CTRL key while you select each font.
- 7. Click to select the Copy Fonts To Fonts Folder check box. The new font is saved in the Windows\Fonts folder.
- 8. Click OK.
More installation instructions and Help for other OS on the Ecofont web site.