Here’s one more way to reduce the amount of resources you use without need.
The Dutch group SPRANQ has developed MS Windows and Mac font replacements that have little holes within the normally printed areas of a font to reduce the amount of ink used. The fonts are based on Vera Sans an open source font similar to Verdana. Their tests resulted in about 20% less ink used.
Downloads are available for MS Windows XP, MS Vista and Mac OS X.
To install the font on MS Windows XP, follow these steps:
- 1. Click Start, and then click Run.
- 2. Type the following command, and then click OK:
- 3. On the File menu, click Install New Font.
- 4. In the Drives box, click the drive that contains the font that you want to add.
- 5. In the Folders box, click the folder that contains the font that you want to add, and then click OK.
- 6. In the List of fonts box, click the font that you want to add. To select more than one font at a time, press and hold the CTRL key while you select each font.
- 7. Click to select the Copy Fonts To Fonts Folder check box. The new font is saved in the Windows\Fonts folder.
- 8. Click OK.
More installation instructions and Help for other OS on the Ecofont web site.
- Software: World Clock Screen-Saver
- Environment: Twenty-First Century Waterfall
- Environment: The Planet animation
- Adobe: New Reader available online
The World Clock by Simon Heys is an interesting screen-saver for Mac OS X, Windows PCs and the Apple iPhone. Very interesting typography and eye friendly dark background…
This computer animation by Doug James from Cornell was made to raise awareness about poor recycling rates of water bottles in the US.
From the estimated 30 billion plastic water bottles purchased in 2005, only about 12% got recycled. The remaining 25 billion bottles were either landfilled or littered.
The animation shows us how…
The Swedish web site forskning.se together with a group of Swedish environment and research agencies has created an excellent interactive animation on fundamentals, issues and problems of the planet we’re living on…
Adobe has made a new version of its popular free PDF Reader software available for download. New features of Adobe Reader Version 8 include a simplified user interface…